Published Date: September 3, 2022
Category: Air Fryer Side Dishes
Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables are the absolute best side dish you can make with only a few spare minutes and a handful of fresh, summer veggies! These come out perfectly tender and crispy every time and don’t make you feel weighed down even after eating a whole batch!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables are the perfect side dish and are easier to make than french fries (okay, they’re about the same). You can customize your veggies any way you’d like – just switch up the spices or herbs that you use, and it’s a great way to add a healthy side dish to your favorite meal.
Plus, because this easy air fryer vegetable recipe uses simple ingredients, it’s perfect for busy weeknights when you just don’t have time for a huge amount of meal prep.
Also, this delicious recipe is an easy way to add some healthy vegetables to your main meal or can be used as a meal on its own (you can just add a few more veggies to the mix!).
Table of Contents
- Zucchini squash
- Yellow squash
- Red bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
*see recipe card for detailed amounts
How to Make Roasted Vegetables in the Air Fryer
Step 1: Cut zucchini and squash into rounds about ½” thick.
Step 2: Cut red pepper into 1” pieces.
Step 3: Toss vegetables with the garlic, oil, italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
Step 4: Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place vegetables in the basket in a single layer. Do not overcrowd
Step 5: Cook at 380°F for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Substitutions & Variations
One of the best things about this recipe is that you can easily customize it and substitute it for your favorite vegetables, or choose vegetables based on what’s in season at the time.
- Substitute or add mushrooms, onions, carrots, or other chopped vegetables (you can use whatever variety of vegetables you have at home).
- Create a mix of seasonal vegetables including winter root vegetables like sweet potatoes, and red onion (you can even add brussels sprouts too).
- Red bell peppers can be replaced with other varieties like green or yellow peppers.
- You can use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic will give a slightly different flavor and finish.
How Long To Cook Roasted Vegetables In The Air Fryer?
This vegetable mix only takes a total of 11 minutes in the air fryer.
Different types of vegetables have different cooking times, so here are a few tips to help with the cooking process if you choose to change up your vegetable selection:
- Group together vegetables that have similar cooking times – for example, grouping together vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes, and then another group of vegetables like onion, peppers, and mushrooms.
- Any types of vegetables that take longer to cook can be cut smaller to decrease cook times.
If you prefer tender vegetables: you may want to increase the cooking time a little, checking every few minutes to ensure you’re not overcooking or burning the vegetables.
If you prefer firm vegetables: Check the vegetables at the halfway point of cooking, and then every few minutes after that until the desired firmness of the vegetables is achieved.
These air fryer roasted vegetables are super versatile and can be served as a delicious side dish with any main meal, or enjoy them on their own for a light lunch or meat-free main dish.
Here are a few ideas:
- Add some cooked quinoa, black beans, and diced avocado to the roasted vegetables for a hearty buddha bowl.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar to add a different flavor dimension.
- Serve with roasted potatoes and some grilled chicken, for a delicious well-rounded meal.
- Enjoy as part of an antipasto platter with some prosciutto and cheese slices.
- Add the to tacos or burritos for an extra veggie component!
- Serve with my Air Fryer Chicken (whole roast) for an easy and delicious meal.
- Add to my Air Fryer Salmon for a super healthy mid-week meal.
How To Store Leftover Air Fried Roasted Vegetables
Leftover vegetables can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How To Reheat Roasted Vegetables In The Air Fryer
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can cook the vegetable medley in advance and reheat them in the air fryer as needed – you’ll still end up with perfectly tender veggies with a crisp, roasted outside.
To reheat: Preheat the air fryer to 380 °F and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
FAQS & Helpful Tips
Air fryers cook much faster than ovens. Most recipes take less than half the time to cook in an air fryer than in an oven. The end results are evenly roasted vegetables that are healthy, with fewer calories and crispier than other cooking methods.
Air fryers use a high-speed circulating system of hot air and heated metal coils to cook food quickly and evenly. Air roasters take a more traditional approach using convection ovens to circulate hot air around the dish.
Some frozen vegetables cook up better than others in the air fryer, but the short answer is yes, you absolutely can!
Absolutely! Air frying is a healthier option to many traditional cooking methods. It uses very little oil, or even no oil at all, so it’s much lower in calories and saturated fats than other cooking methods. Plus, the air fryer seals in moisture so your vegetables are perfectly cooked without drying out.
One of the most common causes for these veggies not roasting properly is overcrowding the basket. This can happen if you have a large batch to cook and pop them all in at once. Overcrowding doesn’t allow the hot air to move around properly, which is what the air fryer relies on. For best results, cook in smaller batches (they’re pretty fast to cook so it still doesn’t take very long to do).
Another reason they may not be roasting properly is that you may be using too much oil. Air fryers cook with hot air, not oil, and too much oil can leave the vegetables soggy and not crispy. Try using olive oil spray rather than drizzling it if you want to still use oil on your veggies.
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes To Try
- Air Fryer
- Cheese Grater
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 Yellow Squash, medium, sliced
- 1 Zucchini , medium, sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, medium, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- Cut zucchini and squash into rounds about ½” thick.
- Cut red pepper into 1” pieces.
- Toss vegetables with the garlic, oil, italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place vegetables in the basket in a single layer. Do not overcrowd.
- Cook at 380°F for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Substitute these vegetables for mushrooms, onions, carrots or other chopped vegetables. Note that some vegetables will take longer to cook so cut smaller accordingly.